Uptown Café opened in June of 2013. In an effort to give back to the community that supports them, owners David Yuill and Krista Bingham used all local labor and contractors, and opted to outfit Uptown in repurposed local building materials wherever possible.
Much of the building materials were obtained from Trails End Recovery. This local business recovers building materials from structures that are being remodeled or demolished. Uptown items include the benches running along the south and west walls, which are beams from the original Astoria Safeway, located on Duane Street.
The bar is a solid piece of glue-lam that was originally a beam in the old Lewis and Clark School. Upon refinishing, student signatures were found from the 1980s. those were preserved and our opening crew added to the autographs.
Many locals also contributed to the repurposing endeavors. The worn boards that make up the siding on the bar and the partition wall are from a church in downtown Warrenton. The church was almost 100 years old when it was torn down nearly 50 years ago! These boards were generously donated by the Shepherd Family.
In addition to these historic materials, the wainscoting along the north wall was once part of the Astoria Yacht Club dock, and the doors and windows that make up the entry to the meeting room are from area homes that were being demolished.
The worn board on the west wall is part of the river steamer TJ Potter; the remains of which can be found in Youngs Bay. Built in 1888, the Potter was the fastest steamship in its time, traveling from Portland to Astoria in just over 5 hours. It was abandoned in Youngs Bay in 1920.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook!